DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (DE)
An all-natural product made from tiny fossilized water plant. DE is an absorbent mineral formed from the remains of diatoms and is composed mainly of amorphous silica. Alternative names include diatomite and kieselguhr. Diatoms are microscopic unicellular algae of the phylum Bacillariophyta and can occur in marine or fresh water. Structurally in two halves (hence their name) their cell walls are impregnated with silica which builds up into large beds. Diatomaceous Earth is, therefore, found close to the sites of current or former water bodies.
DE can be used both internally and externally. It is milled to a fine powder, producing irregularly shaped particles of silica. Unlike conventional insecticides, its action is entirely mechanical, leaving no harmful chemical residues which may affect other animals.
We only use and sell Food Grade DE
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- Horses: 50 - 100 grams daily
- Dogs up to 5kgs - 0.5 teaspoon
- Dogs 10 kgs - 1 teaspoon
- Dogs 20 kgs - 1.5 teaspoons
- Dogs 30 kgs - 2 teaspoons
- Dogs 40 kgs - 2.5 teaspoons
- Dogs 50+ kgs - 3 teaspoons
- Add to feed on a daily basis, if possible splitting the required amount between two feeds
- Allow up to one month for benefits to be seen
Food Grade DE is absolutely safe for use with all animals, and is used in the Feed Manufacturing Industry to ensure the smooth passage of feed through the mills.
Diatomaceous Earth is used and approved by the Soil Association and ADAS to help control parasites.Use it in the garden to help with those pesky slugs and snails!