Make your own natural fly spray!
- 1 litre Rubbing Alchohol 70%
- 250ml of Aloe Vera (optional)
- 24ml Eucalyptus essential oil
- 12ml Lavender essential oil
- 12ml Lemon Balm essential oil
- 50ml Hilton herbs Garlic Juice
- A glass measuring jug
- Measuring spoons
- Several funnels
- A whisk
- 1 litre spray bottle
- Pour 250ml of alcohol* into the glass measuring jug.
- Add the essential oils of eucalyptus, lavender and lemon balm and mix well.
- Add the garlic juice and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle.
- Rinse the glass measuring jug with a small amount of alcohol.
- Top up the mixture in the bottle with alcohol. For horses with sensitive skin add 250ml of Aloe Vera BEFORE topping up with alcohol.
- 24 hours before using the product do a patch test on a small area of skin
- Use all over the horse or pony’s body, in the stable, trailer or horsebox
Watch the video
* Why use alcohol instead of a vegetable oil?
The alcohol acts as a solvent for the essential oils and enables them to mix together in solution rather than just sitting on the surface. You can use a vegetable oil but when applied once the volatile oils in the mix have evaporated your horse will be left with an oily residue on his coat, especially if you apply the fly spray several times a day. This oily residue can attract insects, act as a photo-sensitiser and create a sticky film which will attract dust and dirt.