Himalayan Salt Licks
Nothing added & nothing taken out!
A 550 million year old source of minerals and trace elements for your horse or pony. Mined from the Khewra Salt Mines at the foot of the Himalayan mountains in Pakistan, and transported by truck and train, these mines give the local mountain people one of their main sources of income. It is said that Alexander the Great discovered the mines when he travelled through South Asia, but in fact it was the horses that first alerted him to this rich mineral source! When Alexander's army stopped to rest, the horses started licking the stones, one of the soldiers noticed this and tasted the rock stone and realised it was salty, thus leading to the discovery of the mines. Watch the information video here.
Hilton Herbs Himalayan Salt Licks for horses and ponies are obviously distinctive by their colour, however, it’s not just this that sets them apart from other licks. We like to describe them as salt licks with 'nothing added and nothing taken out' and we believe they are one of the purest forms of salt (sodium chloride) available.
Hilton Herbs Himalayan Salt Licks have been analysed and have been shown to be predominantly sodium chloride, with other trace elements such as potassium, magnesium (vital for maintaining health) and iron which is responsible for the distinctive rose pink colour. Himalayan Rock Salt Licks are literally 'rock hard', which means that horses and ponies are unable to bite chunks off, a problem that can occur with the softer 'pressed' salt licks. The licks are also much more weather-resistant and can be hung up in the field for horses and ponies to “help themselves”, exactly as nature intended.
Quality is always our policy - In line with all Hilton Herbs products our Himalayan Salt Licks are ethically sourced from a fully-accredited supplier whose facilities comply with UFAS feed safety standards.
- Himalayan Salt Licks can be used in the stable, shelter or field
- Smaller Licks are suitable for placing in the feed bowl for horses or ponies that bolt their feed
- Medium sized Licks can be hung in the stable, shelter or field
- Larger Licks are best suited for use in the field
- Himalayan Salt Licks are more resistant to rain than ordinary pressed salt licks, but will deteriorate if left sitting in water
- Block Holders can be fixed as required and refilled with our 2 Kg Blocks
- 750 g Licks and 14 Kg Licks do not come with a rope
- Restrict access to Licks in a stable if you find your horse or pony is taking too much interest : use in feed bowl instead
- Himalayan Rock Salt Licks: In the old days yaks were used to transport the Himalayan rock salt from the mines down the mountains. Nowadays, tractors and trucks are used to take the salt from the mines down to the railhead from where they are transported to the major cities and ports of Pakistan.